Tuesday, September 8, 2009

There's No Place like Home

I wish I could just click my heals and be in our new home. As we look at this week for our closing, I am getting more restless with our current living situation (an air mattress and wrinkled clothes stuffed into tupperware tubs) and longing to be in a more permanent, settled home. But then I begin to think, "If I have made it this far (and Andy and Meredith endured this for 9 months), then whats another couple of days?" But then I'm just trying to keep a good perspective, yet failing often. I know this is just a house, just a material thing and that we can truly live on less than what I think. Many people do. I can't permanently settle on this earth, because it's not my ultimate home.

"For here (earth) we have no lasting city, but we seek the city (heaven) that is to come." Hebrews 13:14

But I just want to feel like I actually live in Dayton, and am anxious to find my days to be more productive. This feels like college all over again- moving to a city where you don't know a soul, going home every weekend because you're bored and it's just more comfortable, trying to adjust to a brand new life. But the truth is that the move will come in God's perfect timing. I'm trying not to count on this day or that this week to finally get the keys and an address (anything could go wrong); really I am just trying to distract myself every day and do what needs to be done.

A dear friend asked me what I have learned through this whole process of transition and homelessness. I still don't know, but I pray we are more grateful for this enormous blessing that God has given us, and don't hoard it or take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment